Sunday, June 24, 2007

Who Said Moving Was Stressful? #2


There's something about being woken up at 6 every morning to the sound of pneumatic drills and sledgehammers. Something that makes me...

Irritable.

But that's not the sole cause. Oh no.

You see, the builders aren't just outside...

They've been inside as well.

Builder: Well, it seems your toilet is overflowing.

Me: Yeah, something tipped me off to that. The bathroom seemed to have more floating crap than usual. But what's causing it?

Builder: I already checked. Looks like someones been dumping tools and rubbish down the toilet.

...

...

It was at this point that I may have lit several small villages in France alight, purely through blind mental rage.

Je suis desole.

But it's not just the builders, either.

I don't have a net connection in my house yet. NTL came around today to install it. All good so far.

But really, I should have realised something was amiss when the engineer got lost in our driveway.

It got better from there though.

Except replace "better" with "horribly, horribly worse".

Engineer: Hang on, I'm not getting any signal for broadband. Let me check with the exchange to see if everything is fully compatible with your area...

Me: Right.

(One phone call later)

Engineer: Ok, so apparently they haven't got it turned on at the exchange.

Me: They haven't got it turned on?

Engineer: No.

Me: But you were just on the phone to them.

Engineer: Right.

Me: Couldn't you have asked them to turn it on?

Engineer: ...I suppose. But I'm going to have to come back down in 4 working days to install it once they've turned it on.

Me: But... Right, let me get this straight. They have to turn it on at the exchange?

Engineer: Yes.

Me: They have to flip a switch or something equally mindblowing.

Engineer: Pretty much.

Me: And you were on the phone to them just now. But you can't get them to turn it on now and install it while you're here.

Engineer: Well, yeah...

Me: I think my logic centre just imploded.

Guess what?

NTL have made the list.

No comments: